With the aging process, spinal discs become more prone to tear and rupture. A damaged or herniated disc is one of the common causes of leg, back, and neck pain, impacting the quality of life. A pain management physician can diagnose and treat herniated discs.
At Saint Louis Pain Consultants, we provide pain management services to help you get back to your active lifestyle. Our specialists perform an examination to determine the diagnosis and the best pain management treatment to use. Treatments for a herniated disc include:
Fixing a herniated disc requires different types of medications. Pain management specialists provide medications based on the level of your pain and the presence of spasms. Below are medications used in treating a herniated disc:
- Nonprescription Pain Medication: If you experience mild pain, your doctor can recommend nonprescription medications such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and naproxen sodium.
- Neuropathic Drugs: These drugs impact nerve impulses to decrease pain. They include pregabalin, venlafaxine, gabapentin, and duloxetine.
- Muscle Relaxers: In the case of spasms, the pain management clinic may prescribe muscle relaxers.
- Cortisone Injections: If oral medications are unsuccessful, cortisone injections can be a very helpful option. A corticosteroid is injected around the spinal nerves, helping relieve pain.
At Saint Louis Pain Consultants, we use interventional pain management medications such as epidural steroid injections to treat herniated discs. Our experts create individualized treatment programs based on the extent of each patient’s condition.
Therapy at a Pain Management Clinic
Physical therapy helps to loosen your muscles and increase blood circulation, relieving pain. At Saint Louis Pain Consultants, we provide interventional pain management and encourage you to engage in exercises that loosen your muscles. Our specialists guide you on exercises and positions to minimize herniated disc pain.
In most cases, herniated discs can heal with nonsurgical treatments. However, if conservative treatments do not improve severe symptoms, our pain management specialists may recommend a surgical consultation for the following conditions:
- Progressive weakness
- Extreme pain reaction to conservative treatment
- Loss of bowel and bladder control
There are varying surgical treatments for herniated discs. Below are some surgical techniques that relieve pressure on the nerves and the spinal cord.
- Discectomy: This procedure aims to remove the damaged portion of your herniated disc.
- Laminectomy: It extracts part of the bone near your herniated disc and aims to expand your spinal canal.
- Artificial Disc Surgery: This surgery replaces your herniated disc with an artificial one.
- Spinal Fusion: A fusion surgery joins vertebrates together to stabilize your spine.
At Saint Louis Pain Consultants, it is our goal to treat herniated discs with non-invasive interventions that alleviate pain and avoid surgical procedures.
Get Treatment for Your Herniated Disk
If you are suffering from back, neck, or leg discomfort, we encourage you to contact Saint Louis Pain Consultants for a new patient appointment where we conduct a thorough physical evaluation, determine your diagnosis, and create an individualized treatment plan for you. We can schedule an appointment for you within 1-2 weeks to be placed on the path to achieve less pain and more life!
If you are living with chronic pain, seek help from St. Louis Pain Consultants.
We want to help remind you what life without pain feels like.
"*" indicates required fields